Around 1900: Anglican worship began in North Kamloops
5 March 1927: Meeting held at home of Mr and Mrs Venables. Meeting resulted in support for founding of Anglican church in the North Kamloops area
March 1927: Lot purchased at current location of St George’s Church
April 1927: Building constructed
18 October 1927: Building was in use. It was officially dedicated on this date.
1930: Lych gate arch donated from St Peter’s Church in Goose Lake, Knutsford
1938: Vicarage built beside the church. Eventually named “Shekinah”. Currently the building is used for parish meetings, offices, and outreach.
After World War II, many Japanese Canadians came to North Kamloops. Japanese services were held for them at St George’s for many years.
27 September 2023: Final services were held at the Royal Avenue building. Leadership made efforts to relocate parishioners to St Paul's Cathedral or the Monte Creek parish, so that spiritual care was maintained.
30 September 2023: The congregation discontinued use of the Royal Avenue building.
Rev. Canon Henry Akehurst
Canon J Phelps
Canon N H Atkinson
Rev Frank Wood
Present: Rev. John Boyd
Sundays 8am and 10am
Kamloops Heritage Commission Plaque near entrance
1969. 'Church of the Week'. Kamloops Daily Sentinel. 11 Jan 1969. A16.
2023. Silvia Senna. 'After nearly a century in Kamloops, St. George’s Anglican Church closes its doors'. CFJC Today. 27 September 2023. LINK.